If you live in South Florida, you know what season it is — It is Mango season! If you like mangoes, it’s time to start looking around. Throughout most of the year, mangoes are just another fruit one buys at the supermarket, between May through August, the bountiful fruit is in every market in every Miami neighborhood. Neighbors and friends will leave bags of mangoes on your front door.
Well, I am happy to announce that South Beach is having its first annual mango festival in Miami Beach on August 5, 2018, from 11 am to 7 pm.
How exciting is that! You are on Miami Beach (South Beach) and enjoying the mango festival.
This will be a “community event, which will offer participants the opportunity to enjoy the work of a range of talented chefs and mango experts, culinary delights and various family activities, all inspired by the versatile and delicious mango. The event will also be featuring avocados, dragon fruit, coconut, and many other natively-grown fruits.”
The Festival will offer the following:
– Kids Cooking Class
– Kids Mango eating contest
– Amazing Mango cooking Class
– Healthy Mango Juicing & Smoothies
– Mixology Competition
– Mango Dancers
– Kids Bounce House
– Live music
Mango Recipe Contest
In addition to all those activities, the festival is having a Mango Recipe Contest and the winner gets $200. Time to get in that kitchen and starting cooking 😉 Now, you have to be over 10 years old to participate. To enter, click on link contest and provide the following– Name, address, email, phone number …Name of recipe
South Beach Mango Festival August 5th, 2018 – Lummus Park, Miami Beach
You know I have to mention the “rules”. They are
- The recipe must be submitted in advance in the space provided on line
- Only one entrance per person
- All recipes must be made from scratch (with no packaged ingredients)
- Day of event
- Recipe must be completely prepared on arrival
- A whole desert of 8-10 finished portions must be presented for judging
- Arrive at the Entrance gate to the Festival by 11:00 and no later than 12:00
- You will be escorted to the judging area
- You will get to arrange and display your best-baked mango recipe
- Your recipe will be judged for – Taste, Creativity, and Presentation
- Prizes will be awarded directly following the completion of the competition
- You must be present to win.
Now of the best part of the festival is our favorite culinary master – Chef Irie will be doing a live cooking demonstration on stage. A little birdie told me that you will be able to sample mango lobster fritters with mango escabechee and aioli and green mango chow with roast port and curried mango chutney. My mouth was just watering as I was typing. Oh, my tummy well be happy.
Lastly, the event will also benefit a vital non-profit philanthropic organization, Big Brothers and Big Sisters. So get your ticket(s) for $20 and come and enjoy some mangoes on South Beach with me.
Hope to see you on Sunday!